Monday, August 3, 2009

Weekend wrap up (Including a recipe for home-made syrup!)







As much as I love travel and fun, I really, really enjoy a low key weekend. Especially after a hectic week, and knowing I have a few action packed weekends coming my way for the remainder of the summer.




Saturday was Ashley's baby shower, which was so nice to be a part of. I have a group of girls that have been so kind to include me in their lives, especially as I am a good 10+ years older than they are! They always send me home feeling so refreshed and usually with a new recipe or idea that I want to try. This excursion was no exception. Thanks to Laura Lee I have a new (not that I had an old one) recipe for syrup. In a million years it would never have occurred to me to make homemade syrup! But I did! And it was awesome! So hopefully I don't get in trouble, but I'm going to share Laura Lee's recipe for homemade syrup. On the way home from the baby shower Caroline and I decided to stop off at the Grandview Farmers Market. Bought myself some GORGEOUS flowers. In the background of the photo, you may notice artwork by one of my favorite artists, Chris Plummer. This was my first "real" piece of art, and it took me a year to decide to spend the money. I now own three of his pieces! Also proudly featured on my mantle (and several other places in my home) are candles from The Candle Lab. If you live in the Columbus area, this is a MUST on your list of places to go. It's a great experience to go in there and create your own custom scented candles. You can even host a private party there! Wrapped up the weekend by harvesting (yeah, right) banana peppers from our garden. I don't know why but I get a kick out of seeing stuff grow in the small 10x5 garden behind our garage.

Laura Lee's AWESOME syrup:
Melt 1/2 cup of butter
After butter is melted add:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. corn syrup
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Boil and stir constantly for five minutes. After cooking, add 1 tsp vanilla.
Enjoy!












2 comments:

Ashley said...

Thanks for coming on Saturday - it was so fun to have you there and I just wish I could've talked to you longer!!! And isn't that syrup to DIE for? Seriously - I could eat that with french toast for the rest of my life. SO GOOD (and I totally don't have the recipe I don't think, I keep meaning to ask LL so thanks for posting it ;). Can that be my freezer meal? Always having that on hand? haha.

Oh and the Candle Lab - I need to visit that place - did you custom make the scents in your house? I LOVE the smell of those candles.

K said...

That recipe sounds delicious! Gonna have to try that.

I also wanted to let you know that I passed on the Kreativ Blogger Award to you!


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.