Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Cha-ching: The marriage bank account...


Ladies, we all know how this works. I let you do something you want to do, but something that is going to inconvenience me. Or maybe it doesn't inconvenience me, but I act as if it does. Yet you still get permission, and maybe even my blessing to do whatever this is. A night with the guys, a hall pass to not have to go to a family event, a round of golf while I do laundry. Whatever the case may be. Now, in letting you do this, you are making a deposit into the marriage bank account for me to with drawl at a later date. Such as, I want to go to the spa at your expense and need for you to come home from work to make dinner so I can get my pampering on. Or, you freely hand over the credit card for something I've been eyeballing. Now, my favorite type of marriage bank deposit is one where I don't really care about what you want to do, I just need to find a way to leverage it into what I want. Make you THINK this will be a hassle, while I have an ending goal I'm working towards. As in: You want to leave HOW early Saturday while it is MY weekend off too? (This is code for: Please get out of my hair, but if I enunciate a few special words you will think your chances are slim and agree to more of what I want just to get your way.) So, today my husband approached me. It was expected, so my wheels have already been turning. Trust me, I know how this works. It's like a little dance we do, only without the music. Brian is planning on going to his buddy's lake cottage Saturday for the Ohio State/USC game. And he approached me with the famous line "Well, did we talk about my leaving on Friday?" No Brian, we did not. (Although I could smell this coming two weeks ago, just like I can smell what the Rock is cookin') The thing is, I have plans Friday. I do. Dinner and a movie with a friend. I am always willing to negotiate however. I offered up money for dinner, movie, babysitter and a facial and we would have a deal. When he hesitated I knew the gig was up. He hasn't even talked to his buddies. He was only trying to gauge what it was going to cost him before he approached them about bumping the weekend up by a day. Little stinker. That's going to cost him...

How do you handle your marriage bank account? Every relationship has one!

3 comments:

Loving Life said...

I'm a lot like you. I don't mind when he wants to do things, but I like to get things out of him anyway :)

presious said...

I'm divorced and we still know each other! :). As I explained, in great lengths, in my latest blog entry, my youngest teenager has really been working my last artery. So, I called their father, who knows me still quite well after 13 years of being divorced..lol!

Polly said...

Oh the old marriage bank account, at the moment because Rugby season is just ending I figure Im owed thousands, that coupled with the fact that I am pregnant and therefore have been playing designated driver for some months now.....man Im going to milk it for all it is worth when I am good and ready.
This weekend however, its a poker night that DD is negotiating. Im thinking its going to cost him a pedi and a mani when we are on holidays next week as well as some indian takeaway and a chick flick delivered for me. Oh and Ollie bathed and fed before he leaves. There that should about do it for this time!!

By the way Im much the same, DD can do whatever he wants really - so long as there is a compromise!!


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.