Thursday, September 3, 2009

And the award for worlds worst babysitter goes to...

ME! Before I plan my acceptance speech, or go purchase a new outfit, let me fill you in on the deets of just how I qualified for this award.

Here's the scenario. I offered to babysit my neighbors children for an hour. One hour is all I had to be in charge. What can go wrong in an hour? I had four children total, three theirs, one mine. All is well until clean up time. As I announce that we need to pick up after ourselves, the middle child decides she wants no part of clean up. She takes off running. Now, there is a baby who is not quite a year old yet, so I need to pick him up and carry him upstairs with me, as I know I can't leave a baby unattended by a flight of stairs. As we go up the stairs, I hear a door slam. I know this means trouble. Yeah. Middle child has locked herself in her room. So, her helpful older sister gets me a toothpick to try to pick the lock. No dice. I have her go to my house (just next door) to get the special tool we have just for this situation. No dice. I have to admit, it's been ten minutes and I'm frustrated. The child refuses to even speak to me through the door. And you may think less of me, but at one point I did tell her that if she did not let me in I would need to call the police to come get the door open. That did not work. So I sent the older kids next door to get my husband. He comes over, walks up to the door and asks the little girl if she wants to come over for ice cream. The door opened. Damn.
Looking for a babysitter in the greater Columbus area? Don't call me.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh - ice cream won that battle? Laughing out loud here. Who knew - that would've totally been my luck too!!! Except the parents would've come home to see it all - oh too funny!! Your stories crack me up!

Ally said...

You're still down with dogsitting next week, right? :D

WendyB said...

Ha ha! I once had to climb through a bathroom window to rescue some bratty toddler who'd locked herself in. I should have just left her in there, honestly.

Polly said...

lol, kids who can pick them!!


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.