Friday, October 16, 2009

To be or not to be...

Noticed?
Whenever I get "serious" I know it is like throwing a curveball at people. I tend to keep these thoughts to myself. I'm just not a big one for inviting deep conversations. But I'll still share this one.
I was driving home today and turned at the corner. Just beyond the crosswalk there was a man attempting to get across the street, and no one was paying attention to the fact that he was trying to cross. This was a man who was visibly handicapped. Granted, he was crossing at the wrong point but it made me think.
Are we all so busy trying to get to where we need to be that we fail to notice the needs of others?
Do we overlook those people who WANT to be seen? Or those who need to be seen?
Is it too easy to not pay attention to people we perceive as invisible or those not wanting to be seen?
Guess I'll get off my soapbox now, but I can't stop thinking about that man and hoping the next intersection is not so unkind to him. For some reason it really bothered me.
My Volvo. Coming soon to an intersection near you.

4 comments:

K said...

It's a great point to make. I think that so many of us have trained ourselves to not get involved in the lives of others that general kindness has suffered. Thanks for bringing this up!

presious said...

KT,

My heart sank when I read this one. I am definitely that one person who will hold up a lane of traffic for that very person.
Interesting that when one person does it, someone else will too. That person may "want" to be seen, which is quite understandable, however, he is at such a disadvantage by being disabled that it would only be fair for others to "see" him.

I am that person who will stop traffic to let him cross...might even get out and stop the rest of traffic if it becomes necessary...seriously.

Thanks for sharing. We need to be more aware of these things.

presious said...

KT,

I'm still reading the book. Sorry it's taking so long. I have double shift in the daycare. Often times, I am very tired. I have kids from 7 am to 10:30pm.

Last night, I read the chapter called "Rebecca". It brought me to tears...literally. I really was very touching. That is what children are all about!

Bare with me, I'm reading! lol!

Polly said...

I often wonder the same thing, life is about living, not trying to race on through to the other side. It makes you so sad doesn't it that people are so out of tune with what else is happening in the world.


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.