Saturday, January 10, 2009

So, I got asked to leave the roller rink


And yes, this happened today, not sometime back in 1985. Here's the story:
I decided today to take Caroline roller skating. And believe it or not, there are not many roller rinks in nice suburban areas. So I load Caroline up in our wheels to go and put on some wheels for an afternoon of good, wholesome fun. As we enter the roller rink, there are the mandatory State of Ohio signs proclaiming that we can not enter with a handgun or smoke inside of the building. And as we are in compliance with these rules, we pass through the double doors and pay the nice man at the counter and collect our ticket to go to another counter and get our rental roller skates. The nice man at that counter hands over two pairs of skates, which we put on while the dj spins tunes that evoke memories of couples skates from years past. Caroline and I make our way to the floor, holding hands and making memories that will last a lifetime. Cause I'm kind of Hallmark-y that way. And about 5 wobbles into the fun, the roller skating police pull me over. Apparently I am in violation of some kind of hat law and can not skate. Um, excuse me? So Caroline and I leave the floor and proceed to play every token chugging game in the joint and then leave. And then I get mad. I understand the rules, really I do but really? Is my Indiana ball cap a possible gang symbol? Am I brandishing a firearm under there? And can anyone tell me why no one mentioned this PRIOR to taking my money? And yes, I could have removed the hat, but I had hat head for crying out loud! As we drove home, I called the roller rink (the number was provided to me on the flyer they handed me on the way out the door) and asked to speak to the manager. I politely explained my understanding of the rules but my concern that there was no posted rule regarding hats, nor did the two employees who helped me mention the rule I was clearly in violation of. He apologized but mentioned that rules are rules, and that he remembered me as he was also doubling that day as the roller rink police and was the person responsible for pulling me over. In an effort to win my case, I told him that I was not trying to be difficult, but that I am Jewish and that I needed to cover my head, as it is Saturday and the sabbath. And guess what? We are going skating for free tomorrow. Caroline asked me not to wear my hat this time. Am I proud of this? Maybe. Am I looking forward to taking Caroline skating again? You betcha. And for your viewing pleasure, You can leave your hat on...

8 comments:

La Belette Rouge said...

OMG!!!That is absurd. Shouldn't they have mentioned their no hat policy when you entered?

Quite a Hallmark moment. Really, Hallmark ought to make a card for when you get asked to leave a roller rink.

Nice job with the sabbath hat. Um, but is there anything in the Torah about roller skating on the sabbath?;-)

V said...

You are hilarious and that rule is ridiculous! I love that you and Caroline get to go skating for free...have fun!

Ally said...

I've forwarded your voice mail about this to everyone I know it seems. And I keep playing it b/c it's THAT GOOD.

We're so going to jail in St. Louis.

Anonymous said...

make sure you do your hair good tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Only you, KT, this could only happen to you! :-)

Ally, what are you worried about? You look good in orange!

Hillary said...

Wow that is some story! Roller rink police... Who knew!

Trace said...

OMG that is definitely absurd!! Kuddos to you for calling the manager - reminds me I need to stand up for myself more often. Enjoy the free skate!!

P.S. Thanks for commenting on my blog - I'm checking out yours today and lovin' it!

Anonymous said...

ktlangmeyer.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.