Wednesday, February 18, 2009

More about me!

After seeing the Shopaholic movie for the second time I felt compelled to share a story. You know, you read a person's blog for so many different reasons. Maybe you are compelled by their story, maybe you have found a common thread, maybe you like their fashion sense. Who knows? The only thing I am consistent about is that I am inconsistent. That may be my segue into said story sharing. In the Shopaholic movie Becky and Luke are verrrry different people. Becky is just so Becky and Luke is very regimented and has a keen understanding of finances and fiscal worth. When Brian and I decided to make our relationship a serious one (as in we were engaged) he called me one day to let me know we should sit down and discuss our finances and our goals. Mmmm hmmmm. He let me know he would be emailing me his spread sheet so we could compare and come up with a plan. A plan. At this point I hit panic mode. This poor man was about to find out what he was up against. I had a feeling that some really cute things from Pottery Barn, Nordstrom and Sephora were not in his plan. Sure enough after reviewing Brian's actual Excel spreadsheet I knew I was in deep doo-doo. I would be very cutely dressed in the doo doo but still in doo doo none the less. I called a technologically savvy friend and asked him to help me create a spreadsheet that made my Longaberger baskets, handbag collection and loose change look better than it was. To this day I'm not sure how I got over that hurdle but I did. I can tell you there are days I feel for Brian. He faithfully reads Money Magazine, Fortune and Barron's. I'm hooked on US Weekly and People. For Brian, here is the best news. I have decided to give shopping up for Lent. 40 days of no shopping. Kroger and Target are allowed as they sell household and food essentials. Keep your fingers crossed. This could be the one thing that breaks me!
Oh, and again, if anyone locates the blue necklace Kristin Scott Thomas wore in the movie please please let me know. Especially before Lent starts while I can still squeeze it in!

5 comments:

Jane said...

I am off to see the film tonight. I will look out for the necklace.

Anonymous said...

Holy, holy crap, Katie! If you manage not to shop for 40 days it will be official - hell will have frozen over! Good luck, chick! Wow!

Anonymous said...

an answer to your shopping problem....convert to judiasm!!! xo

KT said...

Oy vey!

Leslie said...

This made me laugh. Because I think I'll be much like you one day :-)

And what a Lent goal! Good for you--and your checkbook--although how stressful it will be to drive by stores and not go in. I went for 2 months after I bought my car--with a payment, I needed to get my shopping back under control. The first month was terrible...but by month 2, I wasnt even thinking of it. I really should do the same thing again...


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.