Saturday, February 14, 2009

Confessions of this shopaholic...


So, I've been more than a little excited to see the movie. I read all of the books and loved them. And I get them. More than Brian would like for me to admit. But, like Becky Bloomwood my love of shopping goes way, way back. Recently, I reconnected with an old friend from high school through Facebook. (Don't knock it till you've tried it...) Angie lived just a few doors down from me and was quite possibly privy to more of my secrets than anyone. She reminded me of how I used to shop like a fiend in school and how I had to hide my purchases from my mother and smuggle them into the house. I was hooked on Ups N Downs (my fave clothing store of the 80's) and another brand called Units. Units were kind of like Garanimals for older kids with a sweet 80's edge to them. Swatch watches too. If you were around for the 80's, these stores will mean something to you. I remember clearly my first pair of Calvin Klein jeans in 6th grade. In 10th grade I accidentally got my shoelace caught in the escalator at the mall and was scared I was going to have to pay to repair the escalator so I went and returned the jeans I had just bought to cover the cost so my mother didn't have to find out. OK, flash forward about 20 years... there is a St. John necklace at a consignment store by our house that I have been coveting. And no joke, I've gone to visit the necklace a couple of times this past week. But I didn't buy it. But tonight, I NEEDED that necklace to go with my outfit for the Shopaholic movie. And I knew I had about 13 minutes (not that I was watching the clock) before a dinner reservation to make a bank deposit, a bank with drawl and GET THE NECKLACE. So Tessa and I go to the bank ATM and I put in the card. And somehow, I must have pushed the button for Spanish. And guess who doesn't speak Spanish? This girl. No habla Espanol. And did you know that the Spanish version of the ATM has more choices than the English version? So it wasn't like normal where at least I could fumble my way through and pick from two options. Oh no, there were LOTS of options. And I won't dwell on this but I held up the line at the ATM for about 5 minutes because none of those words looked like "cancel." Amazingly enough I was able to get to a screen where there were words and the option of $20, $40, $60, or $100.00. I chose $100.00 and moved on. I was down to seven minutes on the clock. The store closes at 8:00, dinner was at 8:00. The restaurant is no more than 2 minutes from the store. I can do this. I walk into the store and the girl is telling me that they close in a few minutes. No problem I tell her, I know what I want and where it is. So I point to the St. John necklace and the girls tell me how lucky I am, a few people almost purchased that necklace today. Then one of the girls tells me she recognizes me from looking at the necklace earlier in the week. It's mine now suckers! Brand new St. John tags still on! That necklace was around my neck before I even left the parking lot AND we got to the restaurant in time! And the movie was amazing. Loved it!
So if you liked that story, maybe sometime I'll tell you the one about where I accidentally purchased a new roof without talking to Brian about it... (I'm sorry, but sometimes I just get caught up in the moment...)

3 comments:

Jane said...

I love this post. When I was at university I would get down because I was overdrawn so I would go and buy myself some clothes to cheer myself up!
I'd love to see the necklace.

Jane said...

I love this post. When I was at university I would get down because I was overdrawn so I would go and buy myself some clothes to cheer myself up!
I'd love to see the necklace.

Anonymous said...

We NEED a picture of that necklace! I got sucked into watching QVC live from Fashion Week in NYC this morning and now have a Marc Bouwer Motorcycle Jacket and Chloe Dao trench headed my way. Oh and I ordered this stuff while writing out my To Do (aka, Store/Shopping List) for the day. :-) I knew we were kindred spirits!


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.