Thursday, July 17, 2008

Am I Air Force material?

I don't think so! For anyone who knows me I have problems with directions. (Both in taking direction and following directions to get me places.) For some reason the Dayton area seems to pose a big big problem for me. A couple of years ago I had to meet my boss in the Dayton area and wound up crossing the border into Kentucky. Well, today I thought I was supposed to be on Clover Street in Dayton so I used Mapquest PLUS Garmin and got on the road. I pulled onto Clover Street and thought my company must have really been able to get this land cheap because it is in the HOOD. And I do mean the hood. And my Garmin is announcing over and over that I have reached my destination. Um, I don't think so. Then I found out our property is on Clover Street in BEAVERCREEK Ohio. So a few phone calls later and I am on my way. Only this Clover street is so new it isn't on Garmin yet. And Garmin is telling me to do U-turns. And I am. And I think if I get pulled over for an illegal U-turn can I tell them Garmin told me to? Well, then I wind up on Wright-Patt Air Force Base at a check-point entry. And everyone is rolling down their windows and showing the uniformed guard their ID. When it is my turn I said I just needed to turn around. The nice man in uniform told me very politely that I was welcome to turn around but as I was on Air Force property they would just need to search my car first. Keep in mind that I am running late, have no idea where I am going and my car is a total mom car with CRAP strewn everywhere. Then he proceeds to tell me he is just joking and I can smile now and turn around. I felt instant relief. I told him this was tougher than entering Canada, which is where Brian and I have had our car searched twice now. Long story short I somehow go to my final destination on time and made it back home all in one piece! I seriously thought about asking the nice man in uniform if I could take my picture with him because the whole thing was so funny!

5 comments:

Ally said...

This cracked me up!!!! I had a similiar experience getting onto Ft. Knox except I was trying to get on post! They gave me a hard time but ended up flirting!

Glad you got where you were going :)

Anonymous said...

That story was hilarious! You poor thing. Glad to read that it all ended up okay. Who knew Air Force Security had a sense of humor?!

Tessa said...

i'm so embarassed to be your daughter sometimes

KT said...

Tessa honey, Let me remind you of a little girl who openend the bag with her brand new goldfish in the back seat of my car once. And watched at the fish and it's water went swooshing under the seat at I was driving down the highway. Same kid whose feelings I was trying not to hurt as the dead fish lay under the seat of the car and I went and bought you a new fish and pretended it was the same one you set on it's merry little fish way... And if you think I embarass you now I've got plenty more opportunities to do so!

Jane said...

I feel for you. I am always running late, don't have sat nav and can't follow directions. I usually follow the main road signs in the general direction I want to to, park up somewhere and then consult the A-Z before stopping to ask several passers-by.
So far the strategy has worked but I feel for you. And talking of mom cars, I recently interviewed a guy for an article I was writing about his home. When it came time to go I couldn't get out the driveway of this multimillionaire's home. He offered to get in and back it out for me. It was such a mess inside but I was so desperate I let him. I have visions of him getting behind his door, stripping off and showering to get rid of the grubby feeling after being in my car.
As for the wardrobe challenge I am glad you enjoyed the mum/daughter time. Are you positng the pics?


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.