Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Occupational hazards


In my job as a property manager you meet a lot of people. A lot. And after doing this for 17 years or so, you meet a WHOLE LOT of people. And like any industry where you work with people, or even just in life, working with people can be challenging. But also very rewarding. In my job I have met some of the nicest people. Funny people. Interesting people. People who sneak in dogs. People who bring me their new babies to hold or fabric swatches to pick a new sofa. And sometimes, you meet someone really special. Someone who becomes a part of your life. This is what I have decided can be listed under the "occupational hazard" category.

Four years ago a young married couple from Utah moved into my apartment community. Young as in very early twenties. By this time, I was already an old jaded lady in my thirties. What on earth could I have in common with a girl barely 20 years old moving to Ohio from Utah? I will never, ever forget the day Jordan came into my office with her husband Jeremy to ask for some advice about getting settled in Columbus and where to look for jobs. There was just something about Jordan that exuded "goodness." She had an innate goodness about her. If you ever ask me to describe her, that is the word I would pick. (Goodness, not innate.) If I am jaded, she is my polar opposite. In a crazy stroke of luck, I wound up hiring Jordan. She got pregnant that year and decided to be a stay at home mom, but still remained a large part of my life. I have been so spoiled in the fact that Jordan lives where I work and I have taken it for granted that she is always there when I want her to be. She can bring her little girl Adalynn to visit anytime. And I have known for four years that Jordan is not FROM Columbus, would not STAY in Columbus and would MOVE from Columbus when her husband Jeremy finished medical school. And while I am a smart enough girl and operate by the same calendar that Jordan does I am still not sure how the four years is gone and it is time for her to move. I'm not going to lie to you. I am a complete mess over this. I have been crying pretty much non-stop. Brian keeps reminding me that this is what Jordan and Jeremy wanted and I should be happy for them. I keep reminding him that I am sad for me. Sad that this amazingly kind girl who sometimes makes me ask myself "What would Jordan do?" is leaving. As of today I am mad at the state of Missouri for taking my friend, and mad at the moving truck people for providing them with a way to get their belongings out of the state of Ohio. But I am thankful. Thankful for the chance to meet someone that in a million years I would have never met otherwise, or had as a part of my life. Thankful for Jordan, Jeremy and their family (because I love his parents and want to be part of their family) for letting me be a part of their lives for four years. Excited for Jeremy to be a "real" doctor, even though he assures me he can't write me a prescription. And excited for the trip I will be taking this summer to visit them in their new home, as well as the one I hope to be taking this fall/winter...
But, just in case Missouri is reading. I am still mad at you for taking my friends. My loss is 100% your gain. Free tuition for Tessa at the Mizzou would be a nice payback.

5 comments:

Loving Life said...

My husband, bff, her husband and I are heading to MO at the end of the month to visit our friend who is getting her Phd and teaching at Mizzo! Then in July I have another friend and husband moving to Saint Louis! Stupid MO for taking 2 of my best friends away!!

Ally said...

Awwww, KT. :( We did have a lot of fun in STL - you should move with them !!

Polly said...

Awww KT - losing a friend is the pits. I hope that you are ok, and that another special friend comes along soon for you.

Loving Life said...

Thanks for your great blog! It's one of my top reads! I think you are hilarious!!! Little something for you on my blog!

WendyB said...

Oh, I'm so sorry...it's nice that you know such great people though. I've been crying all day because all I know are Assholes Who Should Be Struck Down by Zeus (AWSBSDbZ for short). Is that any consolation?


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.