Monday, March 30, 2009

The tax man...


Like many people, tax season is not fun for me. This is the time of year where once again my husband is left scratching his head and wondering "How did I get this girl?" Brian is a VERY together person when it comes to money. He is a SAVER. I am a SPENDER. But like Paula Abdul knows, Opposites Attract. Prior to our wedding Brian mentioned to me that we should most likely go over our finances, goals, plans, etc... Then, he emailed me an Excel spreadsheet. It detailed the mileage on his leased car by month, amount he invested, monthly savings detailed until retirement, all of it. And he didn't just put that spreadsheet together for me, it was part of his life. He updated this thing on a regular basis. I picked up the phone and called my friend Mike, the most computer savvy person I knew at the time. I let him know we needed to make a spreadsheet PRONTO and find a way to make my shoes, purses, Longaberger baskets and loose change look like a plan for the future. So, fast forward six years into our marriage and you will find out why I HATE tax season. Brian tells me our accountant needs to know how much interest my savings account earned last year for our taxes. Because obviously that is income. Umm... let me log into my account so I can get that number to you. That would be seven cents Brian. As in $.07. Thankfully, at this point Brian doesn't expect much but I could tell by the pause in the conversation that he just wants to scratch his head yet again... I'm a spender, not a saver; what can I say?

2 comments:

Ally said...

Seeing as how I'm in Wife Training, I need you to email that spreadsheet to me please :)

Jane said...

I am self-employed my husband is employed it makes things so much simpler and I think you may have outdone me on the savings interest.


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.