Thursday, November 6, 2008

I am a creature of habit


For years now I have started my day at Steak N Shake. (Having worked with me, my friends Traci and Jordan can vouch for me on this one. There are not many mornings where I do not show up with my plastic cup.) I do not drink coffee, but I drive through about 3 mornings a week to get my morning soda. On the days I don't go, it is usually because I am running late and I debate passing by and usually feel some regret if I don't. Yes, I understand this is more expensive than a case of soda, but it is my habit and I like it. And somehow, over the course of time the lady at Steak N Shake has become my pal. When she hears my voice over the speaker she just tells me to "Come on up honey." I was unaware of our blossoming friendship until one morning she asked me to pull up so she could run outside and show me her new Ohio State debit card, because she knew I am a fan and had one also. Then, when I had bangs cut into my hair she was the first person to notice and compliment me on them. One day she stopped me to show me her new hairstyle and told me I inspired her to do it because I made such a big change that she could too. Fun! So today I went through and she noticed my hair was lighter. And she told me how much she loved it and even went to get another girl to look through the little window at me. I know it may just be Steak N Shake but this lady has become such a part of my daily routine and offers up my first dose of kindness for the day. How about you? Do you have a morning routine? Someone you can count on (other than family) to brighten up your day?

11 comments:

Jane said...

I wish I did. Having said that my morning routine involves a great big lick from my lovely labrador.

Stephanie said...

I usually don't like music on blogs at work...

...but the fact that I just opened your blog and a Snoop Dogg song came on is pretty awesome. You may be my new favorite person. Sorry, Mr. Newlywed

Anonymous said...

Aww, that is so adorably cute!

Every morning H and I leave our house and stop at a little gas station a few blocks from our house. I get my fountain diet coke (yum!) and get H his trusty chocolate milk. The same woman has worked there every weekday morning for 3 years and asks how I am, compliments my outfit, tells H a joke, then tells me to have a "blessed day". It's so simple, but it really puts a smile on my face.

Ally said...

My morning routine is pretty hazy but Maddy gets a belly rub and I run out the door.

My coworkers are pretty gnarly and they always make my day better :)

Leslie said...

Im just like this at my local Graeters! Well and the Limited. Its half really cute and fun and half embarrasing sometimes but it always makes me smile!

Anonymous said...

KT--Wanna do a t-shirt swap? Ill send you one from In-N-Out burger if you send me one from Steak-N-Shake!!! Is it a dealsy? K

PS I need your address so I can send Shiksa back!

Anonymous said...

corner speedway. every morning. fountain diet pepsi. they've changed a lot of the regular workers of the past few months, but the diet pepsi is all my heart needs.

-nikkip

KT said...

Karen- I am so into the deal. Fired up. Size preference? I like medium. Will email address. (Am slightly drink now)

KT said...

OK Karen, so, kind of like drunk dialing, drunk blogging- Not good. Was slightly drunk last night, apparently could not spell drunk. It's a beautiful morning to wake up and find you have drunkenly commented on your own blog!

Anonymous said...

KT - you crack me up. You need to drunk blog more often. I need all the laughs I can get!

I don't really have the same routine every morning. I always get a soda on my way to work, but mix it up between Circle K, Hardee's and Mickey D's. Perhaps I should stick to the same place day after day so I can have a morning buddy!

Anonymous said...

KT--Thanks for the book! Whoa, what am I going to do with all this reading material!!! It looks like another New York Story, so I must read it!!! THank you! and for the luxury magazines, which make me sad and depressed that I am not rich! But happy that I can dream?

Okay, I am a SMALL in the Steak And Shake shirts!!! No black if you can help it, get white. In-N-Out is soon on it's way in medium! Give me a week or so...

No more drunk blogging for you, Ohio girl!!!


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.