Tuesday, February 16, 2010

40 days and 40 nights...

It's time. Lent. My annual "Give up Pepsi" for Lent sacrifice. And as previously discussed I am not a very religious person but I do make sure to give up two things for Lent each year. I always give up Pepsi and I try to choose something (a habit) to give up. Now, if you know me and spend time around me you will know that where I go, Pepsi goes. The Pepsi is never far from me, so while it may not seem like a big thing, let me tell you that the first thing I look for on Easter morning is not the Easter Bunny, it's a Pepsi.
A few years ago my second Lent sacrifice I gave up was moving Brian's keys. Again, this may not seem like a big deal but in my mind, he put his keys in the wrong spot at the end of each day and it irritated me and I would move them to what I perceived at the "right" spot. So each morning it turned into "Where did you put my keys?" and I would point at where I had put them. I had to realize that each of us had our own idea of the right spot and I gave up moving the keys and let Brian pick his own "right spot."
This year I am giving up five to ten minutes a day. The matter of minutes one of my kids asks for my attention where I say "In a minute." As in:
I will come see that funny commercial in a minute after I put this dish in the dishwasher.
I will come see what you want in a minute after I clean this counter off.
I will look at the shirt you are trying to show me in a minute after I finish what I am doing.
As in: Can you help me for a minute? Listen for a minute?
Yes, I can.
Because really, what is a minute to me is a memory to you and I can get my minute back but I can't change your memories.

3 comments:

kristin said...

oh man - you are so right! they are so sweet when they want us to pay attention to us and soon enough they will be gone. can I steal your "sacrifice"? 'cept the Pepsi. I'm givin up the DC!

WendyB said...

I will give up Pepsi too. I don't drink it, so it should be a breeze :-)

La Belette Rouge said...

Giving a minute is such a big gift and yet takes so little time.
Good luck with your Lenten sacrifice.


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.