Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Spare the rod...

And spoil the child, right? As Caroline's class is working on making their own proverbs this week this has been on my mind.
At what point are certain indulgences bad behavior on the part of the parent?
At which point is your child spoiled?
The thing is, as Tessa waits to hear about scholarships and decide about college it makes me even more lenient with Caroline.
They really go grow up SO FAST.
So what if I don't make Caroline finish EVERY BITE?
So what if I let her wear a mismatched outfit to school?
I mean really, at some point our children grow out of some of these behaviors, and at some point they don't want to be kissed and cuddled. I guess it is up to us individually to make some of these determinations.
Caroline will get to a certain age where she will eat all of her dinner, and if she doesn't she will go make herself a turkey sandwich or get a bowl of cereal.
And if she wears a mismatched outfit maybe she is just exhibiting her sense of self and not trying to be just like everyone else.
So be it.
And if I'm a little over-indulgent with my kids and trying to enjoy each and every moment so be that too.

*Caroline's proverb she made up at school: Never underestimate the power of...lava.
*Katie's proverb: All that glitters is...Mariah Carey
What's your proverb?

3 comments:

kristin said...

A dollar earned.... is a pound of sweat out of my ass!

I agree - who cares if you only brush the outside of the hair. They are kids and their happiness should be an example to all of us.

Happy to see the blog up and running!

kisses!
k

WendyB said...

Just don't let her turn into this: http://wendybrandes.com/blog/2010/01/when-kids-ask-those-awkward-questions/

K said...

That's an excellent point. They do grow up so fast! I try and remind myself of that sometimes when my 7 and (almost) 5 yr. old are driving me bonkers.


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.