Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The fabric of our lives...

Four years ago I was steaming mad. About a polyester dress. That cost $120.00 I think.
What had me so riled up? Tessa came home shortly after high school started and needed a check for her choir dress. It seemed expensive to me, especially for something that had been mandated. And to be quite honest, the dress was ugly and polyester. I ranted and raved about how they had better plan on wearing this dress for all four years of choir. I swore up and down that she better save the dress and sell it to a freshman when she was done. I fantasized about Tessa and all of her friends using the choir dresses as bridesmaids dresses someday to save money.
Tonight was Tessa's next to last choir concert. As I sat there in the audience I was ashamed of myself. How could I have been so angry about paying for a dress I insisted needed to last four years when I didn't realize what the end of the four years would symbolize? I would gladly buy another polyester dress to have another four years with Tessa. Like so many things in life, tonight I realized it's not about the dress and it's not about the money. This is my life with my daughter. I need to cherish these times together and not get caught up in the other stuff.
Man am I going to miss that girl of mine...

3 comments:

Polly said...

And she will miss you too - she may not tell you enough but she will. You are such a great mum.

The Closet of Kim said...

This was really sweet. Thanks for the reminder to cherish our time as much as possible.

Sara said...

Why DO those dang dresses cost so much? I was a choir geek myself and wore the most hideous (and expensive) polyester choir dress too. But I kept mine, along with every hideous polyester dance costume and my graduation robe, in a trunk in the basement so that my own little girls can play dress up in them some day. I'll get my $120 worth, if it kills me! :)
Hang in there. Tessa is lucky to have a mom who cherishes this time. Too many kids have parents who are just ready to have them 'gone'. Tessa is a lucky kid.

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.