Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The fabric of our lives...

Four years ago I was steaming mad. About a polyester dress. That cost $120.00 I think.
What had me so riled up? Tessa came home shortly after high school started and needed a check for her choir dress. It seemed expensive to me, especially for something that had been mandated. And to be quite honest, the dress was ugly and polyester. I ranted and raved about how they had better plan on wearing this dress for all four years of choir. I swore up and down that she better save the dress and sell it to a freshman when she was done. I fantasized about Tessa and all of her friends using the choir dresses as bridesmaids dresses someday to save money.
Tonight was Tessa's next to last choir concert. As I sat there in the audience I was ashamed of myself. How could I have been so angry about paying for a dress I insisted needed to last four years when I didn't realize what the end of the four years would symbolize? I would gladly buy another polyester dress to have another four years with Tessa. Like so many things in life, tonight I realized it's not about the dress and it's not about the money. This is my life with my daughter. I need to cherish these times together and not get caught up in the other stuff.
Man am I going to miss that girl of mine...

3 comments:

Polly said...

And she will miss you too - she may not tell you enough but she will. You are such a great mum.

K said...

This was really sweet. Thanks for the reminder to cherish our time as much as possible.

Sara said...

Why DO those dang dresses cost so much? I was a choir geek myself and wore the most hideous (and expensive) polyester choir dress too. But I kept mine, along with every hideous polyester dance costume and my graduation robe, in a trunk in the basement so that my own little girls can play dress up in them some day. I'll get my $120 worth, if it kills me! :)
Hang in there. Tessa is lucky to have a mom who cherishes this time. Too many kids have parents who are just ready to have them 'gone'. Tessa is a lucky kid.


MusicPlaylistRingtones

Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.